Bringing the good news
The original settlement was called Mangrove Bay, but later renamed. Port Hedland is a town in 2 parts, separated by 15kms of tidal inlets and flood plain. The town was gazetted in 1896 as a supply and support town for the fledgling pastoral and mining operations in the east Pilbara. It now serves as a port for the massive iron ore industry in the region, along with salt, manganese, other minerals and cattle enterprises.
The first service was probably held under a hotel verandah in May 1901; while the original St Matthew’s church building was a timber and iron construction completed in 1908. This building burnt down in February 1917, but rebuilt with the first service being held on 28th April, 1918. For many years it was part of the Roebourne parish, although from 1911-26 it was the parish of Port Hedland-Marble Bar. In 1957 BCA began supporting ministry in Port Hedland. The relocation of St Matthew’s occurred in 1988 when the present property was acquired. With the aid of the Outback Church Foundation a new St Matthew’s was built. In 1970 the Mission to Seafarers was established in Port Hedland.
9:00 We meet each week at St Matthew’s Anglican Church, Port Hedland. As a church we are committed to the Bible and so our times of meeting together have teaching the Bible at their centre. We also have a Sunday School for children. After the service we meet in the same building for fellowship and morning tea.
Rev Philip Knight: Minister-in-Charge
Philip is married to Elke with two daughters (Annabella and Lilly).
They have been serving in Port Hedland since 2006.
Call: 9173 4324
Visit: 9 Padbury Place, Port Hedland