Bringing good news to Shark Bay
Shark Bay is steeped in history from the tip of Dirk Hartog Island to the boundary of Hamelin Pool where the old telegraph station still stands. Discovered by the Dutch; named by the French; surveyed and settled by the English, the area has both astounded and fascinated visitors for centuries. In 1699 William Dampier named the area Shark’s Bay.
The Shark Bay parish is based in the beautiful coastal township of Denham. Nearby is the well-known resort of Monkey Mia. Denham is about a 41/4 hour drive north from Geraldton. The official name of the church building is St Andrew by the Sea and is built out of coquina shell block quarried at nearby Hamlin. It is a significant building in the town’s landscape. Funding for the construction came from the ‘League of Help’ – an English organisation committed to building churches overseas. St Andrews was opened in 1954.
9:00am As a church we are committed to the Bible and so our times of meeting together have teaching the Bible at their centre. After the service we meet in the downstairs area of the rectory for fellowship and morning tea.
Rev Bill Ross: Minister-in-Charge
Bill and Jocelyn have been serving in the North West for 50 years in Kununurra, West Pilbara (Karratha-Dampier area), Bluff Point, Wickham, Port Hedland and Geraldton, along with Mission to Seafarers work in 4 ports. Bill is also an Archdeacon Emeritus for his faithful service in the diocese. In 2010 Jocelyn and Bill were both awarded an OAM for their service in the NW.
Call: 9948 1067
Visit: 35 Hughes Street, Denham
Post: PO Box 30, Denham, WA 6537