Our Structure

Established in 1920, the diocese of North West Australia is one of 23 independent dioceses that belong to the Anglican Church of Australia. The current bishop, Gary Nelson (since May 2012), is a local resident in Geraldton.

Governance is shaped by the Synod that meets every second year with ministers and representatives from all the parishes. A Diocesan Council, elected by the Synod, meets throughout the year for oversight of the diocesan administration.

Due to the fluid nature of our region, we’re proud to be a ‘missionary’ diocese. We journey with everyone who comes and goes as part of work or tourism, and see a congregation turnover rate of around 100% every two years. Our region is dependent on support by individuals, parishes, dioceses, and Christian organisations across Australia who are committed to gospel ministry in small, remote, and isolated towns and communities in North West Australia.